When I started becoming interested in a more natural and sustainable lifestyle, one of the first things to change was my deodorant. Previously I used whatever I picked up at the drugstore without a second thought - but after learning about the harmfulness of aluminum as well as the dangers of anti perspirant I decided to switch to a natural alternative. Unfortunately, if you've ever been in a natural food store you'll know there are approximate a bajillion options and they're all relatively pricy. After what seemed like constantly searching for an all natural deodorant that worked and didn't cost an arm and a leg, I finally decided to just DIY my own.
Last year I made two 4 oz jars that have lasted SO long - I am just now running out. Unfortunately I didn't write down the recipe so I've been testing out a new recipe with some basic ingredients that will prevent smelliness and not give my armpits a rash (i'm looking at you, first batch of homemade deodorant with too much baking soda).
My thoughts on deodorant are - meh, could live without it. Honestly I don't think most people are naturally that smelly and if they are - who cares? Would rather make my own deodorant or go without than put some questionable carcinogens on my lymph nodes. But feel free to do whatever makes you the most comfortable, of course!
If you're interested in trying your hand at making your own aluminum-free, all natural deodorant - look no further! Please feel free to change up this recipe based on your body's preferences. What works for one body may not work for another, so I welcome you to experiment and play with amounts of ingredients to find what works best for you.
homemade deodorant ingredients
- 1/4 cup arrowroot powder (transferred into recycled wegmans jam jar)
- 2 tbs baking soda (potentially irritating so I've added less than other homemade deodorant recipes. if your skin is not sensitive feel free to increase this to 3-4 tbs)
- 1/4 cup virgin coconut oil
- 2 tbs shea butter
- 2 tbs beeswax
- 2 tbs cocoa butter
- 1/4 tsp tea tree oil
- 1/4 tsp vitamin e oil
- ~10 drops lavender essential oil
supplies needed for making homemade deodorant
- glass or metal mixing bowl OR double boiler
- knife to cut up the cocoa butter from brick form
- measuring cups and spoons
- spoon to stir
- 4 oz glass jar with lid
- rubber spatula for getting all the mixture out of the bowl
- measure out all of your ingredients - this makes every step a lot easier.
- place the arrowroot powder, baking soda, coconut oil, shea butter, beeswax & cocoa butter into a glass or metal bowl OR into a double boiler. Fill a small pot with about 2 inches of water and bring to a simmer and place the bowl with the ingredients over the water. This will melt together all the ingredients without potentially damaging them by placing them directly over heat.
- Gently stir all the ingredients together as they begin to melt over the pot with simmering water. Continue until everything in the bowl is a liquid thoroughly mixed together.
- Remove the bowl from heat and place it on the counter top. Add in your desired oils - I added tea tree oil, vitamin e oil and a few drops of lavender essential oil, but feel free to mix these up with different scents of essential oil.
- Pour the mixture into a clean 4 oz glass jar with a lid. Let the mixture cool and harden as it becomes room temperature.
- To apply, use your fingers or a small spoon to massage into underarms daily. Keep it out at room temperature until it's all gone! Enjoy!